20.6.14

//west coast



When I was in France I had a lot of cool experiences, but one of the coolest things I took away was the way foreigners view Americans and American culture (if it exists? pretend it does). What I saw, at least, was something like "bigger, faster, better, shinier, newer, younger, more expensive". That matches with what I originally thought, but it was a lot more obvious seeing it across the ocean. 

At about the same time I began to see this romanticized version of America (thank you, I didn't need more things to romanticize!), I also stumbled across luxury tumblrs. They reinforced this whole idea of America in a really in-your-face way-- I also got kind of interested in them because it's just so funny that there are teenagers on the internet reblogging pictures of skinny tan ladies wearing Gucci. If that's not a way to escape your own sad life and live in a fantasy, I don't know what is.

The whole image of this country is pretty messed up, all youth and money and iPhones, and obviously this image isn't even real. Once again, I will say the word **romanticized**. I don't sleep under an American flag, take my Mercedes to school and hang out with Selena Gomez. (She doesn't even seem that cool, anyway.) Our "culture" amusing at first, but gets kind of annoying.

When is it not annoying for me? Yep, this is where I bring in Lana Del Rey. I really like her music, but more importantly her aesthetic is SO. PRETTY. Her whole "American dream" thing is great. She dips our culture into instagram colors so I don't have to do it in my head! Her ideas of luxury are so over-the-top and old-fashioned that it's fashionable. She sleeps with old rich dudes, she wears 3-inch nails, she looks fab.

To celebrate her new album Ultraviolence, I have put together some photos. Some of these photos are from Kylie Jenner's instagram. Kylie is pretty much the definition of luxury, and her instagram is really shady and idyllic, which makes it so easy to romanticize her life. 





 













My take was like this, shot by my friend Ilan and styled by me. Look at them while listening to some of my favorites from the new album (West Coast, Brooklyn Baby, Shades Of Cool, Old Money, and Florida Kilos).












3 comments:

melodyfairitale said...

The photos of you are actually the most beautiful of those all, they could easily be a part of a fashion editorial. Or they would suit the rookiemag (idk, maybe you don't even like rookie)! You look really pretty.

Also, I don't think this ~luxury~ is an American thing. I'd say it's a great part of modern Russian culture, here, in Latvia there are a lot of blonde Russian (and Latvian too) women wearing Gucci. I remember my mom watching some Russian dating show and the the women there were encouraged to look for husbands who were rich (doesn't matter if you don't love them) and could buy them a fur coat a little dog and the women wouldn't have to work then. somehow ingrained in the society.

Lil Ashton said...

This is a really interesting post. Tumblr dynamics are pretty interesting to me, what with the whole specifically styled blogs and how they reflect on culturally values and aspirations and stuff. We def have the luxury/fame/money culture in the UK and it fascinates me. I think it overlaps with the American version and there is something of a global culture of this thanks to the internationality of the internet, but there are some subtle differences between British and American luxury culture. I feel like a lot of British people who are into it get enamoured with American styles/romanticised pop culture history and stuff. Idk yeah cool post.

Isabella said...

Those photos are stunning, Meagan! You look quite a bit like Lana. I'm also mildly addicted to Kylie Jenner's Instagram.